Sunday, February 20, 2011

Googled It 1.7

According to the Greek Mythology, X boasted of her superiority to Leto because the goddess only had two children, the twins Apollo and Artemis, while she had fourteen children , seven male and seven female. The number varies in different sources. Her speech which caused the indignation of the goddess was rendered in the following manner:
It was on occasion of the annual celebration in honor of Latona and her offspring, Apollo and Diana, when the people of Thebes were assembled, their brows crowned with laurel, bearing frankincense to the altars and paying their vows, that X appeared among the crowd. Her attire was splendid with gold and gems, and her face as beautiful as the face of an angry woman can be. She stood and surveyed the people with haughty looks. 
"What folly," said she, "is this! to prefer beings whom you never saw to those who stand before your eyes! Why should Latona be honored with worship rather than I? My father was Tantalus, who was received as a guest at the table of the gods; my mother was a goddess. My husband built and rules this city, Thebes; and Phrygia is my paternal inheritance. Wherever I turn my eyes I survey the elements of my power; nor is my form and presence unworthy of a goddess. To all this let me add, I have seven sons and seven daughters, and look for sons-in-law and daughters-in-law of pretensions worthy of my alliance. Have I not cause for pride? Will you prefer to me this Latona, the Titan's daughter, with her two children? I have seven times as many. Fortunate indeed am I, and fortunate I shall remain! Will any one deny this?
Upon hearing this, using poisoned arrows, Artemis killed her(X's) daughters and Apollo killed her sons, while they practiced athletics, with the last to die begging for their lives.
Who is X?